If you’ve been in the Internet marketing scene for any amount of time, you’ve probably already heard it ad naseum:
AB test everything to optimize your sites.
And while it’s repeated so often it starts to almost sound cliché, they’re absolutely right.
However, with so many options out there (with some of them being integrated into larger plugins), it can be difficult to decide which plugins for WordPress AB testing to look into and which ones aren’t worth your time.
So in this article we’ll lay out the 5 Best WordPress AB Testing Plugins to use on your site. They vary in their interface and features but all provide robust and powerful data that you can use to improve your site’s performance.
1. Google Content Experiments
This used to be its own individual tool called Google Website Optimizer, but now goes by Google Content Experiments and is implemented directly into Google Analytics. That’s partly what makes it so appealing—if you already have Google Analytics tracking your website, you can already get to work and start A/B testing. Additionally, as it takes data directly from Google, it gives you very accurate information.
A downside of Google Content Experiments is that it doesn’t have some of the more insightful features that a lot of the paid options for WordPress split testing have. For example, it has somewhat clunky user interface and it doesn’t allow for multivariate testing (you can only test two components at a given time, rather than multiple elements). On the upside, it’s completely free.
- Main Features: test up to 10 variations of a landing page, choose various objectives you’d like to test on your site, you can determine what number of your site’s users will be included in the experiment, and you can compare the performance of app screens or web pages by taking a random sampling of your audience. On top of all that, you can get email alerts about your campaign results.
- Price: Free
Learn more about Google Content Experiments here
Optimizely is the go-to WordPress AB testing plugin for some of the biggest websites in the world, and for good reason. It’s extremely powerful and gives you a wealth of data so that you have all the information you could possibly need to interpret your testing results.
Considering all the power that comes with this plugin, it does help to have some technical know-how in regards to coding, so if coding is not your thing it may be wise to go with another choice.
Optimizely doesn’t post their pricing online. To find out, you can call them at 1-800-252-9480 or contact their sales department from https://www.optimizely.com/plans/.
- Main Features: Depending on the plan, Optimizely includes AB testing, multivariate testing, analytics, heatmaps, audience targeting/segmentation, funnel testing, report annotations, third party data targeting, IP address targeting, and geolocation targeting.
- Price: Contact Optimizely Sales
The Nelio WordPress split testing plugin lets you test for things like pages, posts, themes, and even has a heat map feature. One of the things that a lot of users really like about this plugin is that it’s really easy to use. It’s a native plugin, meaning the Nelio user interface is built right into the plugin so you don’t even have to leave WordPress to use it.
Nelio ranges in pricing from $238 a year for their basic plan to $2,168/year for their ‘Enterprise’ plan.
- Main Features: you can do all your testing directly through WordPress, unlimited number of experiments, create alternatives for any page on your site and it works with WooCommerce. It gives nice visual representations of your experiments as well.
- Price: $238/yr for their basic plan. $738/yr for their professional plan. Their high-end plan is called enterprise and costs $2,168/yr.
4. Visual Website Optimizer
Visual Website Optimizer, aside from the little snippet of code you need to enter on the pages you want to test, is a straight-forward WordPress AB testing plugin with a WYSIWYG editor. Visual Website Optimizer makes it easy to monitor tests, it has a faster learning curve than many other AB testing WordPress plugins out there, and is affordable. It also has really nice charts and graphics that help you to visualize your data once you’ve got some results coming in.
Visual Website Optimizer ranges in price from $49 a month for their Startup plan to $999/month for their Enterprise plan.
- Main Features: AB testing, multivariate testing, split URL testing, easy-to-use interface, visual layout, no coding required, lots of data, works with all platforms.
- Price: Startup plan costs $49/month, Business plan is $129/month, and their Enterprise plan is $999/month.
Icegram is not only a powerful WordPress AB testing plugin, but also comes with several other helpful features you can use to optimize your website. The additional features include the ability to create email opt-ins, popups, subscriptions and CTAs, all of which you can AB test within the same plugin. Also, the team at Icegram is really down-to-earth as well and provides excellent support.
Icegram has a free version for individuals and a pro developer version for only $147 a year.
- Main Features: very simple and easy to use and real time reporting. You can test links, CTA button colors, CTAs, headlines, themes, content and opt-ins.
- Price: Icegram’s Individual plan is free, their Plus plan for businesses is $97/yr and their Pro plan for developers is $147/yr.
To Sum Up
Finding a WordPress AB testing plugin for your site doesn’t need to be complicated. Of the five AB testing WordPress plugins listed here, you have all of your potential needs covered, whether you’re starting out a website for the first time or you’re part of the marketing team for a big corporation.
Thanks for installing the Bottom of every post plugin by Corey Salzano. Contact me if you need custom WordPress plugins or website design.
IT Consultant with 6 years experience in Software Development and IT Leadership. Participated in such projects as Eclipse IDE, Big Blue Button, Toronto 2015 Panam Games.